Pop Culture Review
Tuesday, March 08, 2005
The Art of discovering yourself through 10 questions...now that is Pop Culture!!
You Have Good Karma
In general, you like to do the right thing when it comes to others.
Your caring personality really shines through.
Sure, you have your moments of weakness - and occasionally act out.
But, all in all, you're karma is good... even with those few dark sports.
Sunday, January 09, 2005
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
"Dude, Where's your colon?"
Warning!!! If you have not seen this movie, this review may be a spoiler.
For my first entry I chose something from recent memory...in fact last night...in fact it this movie, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, that inspired me to venture into another mighty blog spin-off.
I had reasonable expectations for this movie. It would be one of those movies, based on an every day/ any day scenario with a set of totally wild expectations. It would be one of those average movies where the individual parts would be much better then the sum or end product. One of those movie where you and your drunk friends use endless lines of dialogue from the movie, hoping that people think it is your own original work of comedy art.
The movie focuses two young adults. One Asian-American (Harold) and one Indian-American ( Kumar). I only hyphenate their nationality as it is of central focus to the movie. the movie takes place in New Jersey, which is cool, as I have been 'born, bread and spread' in New Jersey. Basically these guys are two stoners, one being a corporate professional (Harold), the other a brilliant, yet unfocused medical student (Kumar). They get very high on a Friday night and get the munchies. They happen upon a White Castle commercial and the plot is then sent. You find yourself following these two guys on a fun, yet extremely predictable adventure desperately seeking burgers at White Castle. This is sort of like "Dude, Where is My Car" minus half the laughs, half the plt, the A list starts and cameo performers. Unless fo course you consider Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser), 'A' list.
For the Pervs in the blogosphere there a few "booby shots" worthy of a look. This would also be a good movide for stoners themselves though as I am sure there are many 'inside' jokes that I missed, but a seasoned hemp farmer would pick up on.
My take on some individual sequences of the film:
- Shy Asian-American guy getting picked on by two Express Men's cloth wearing colleague's: Believeable
- Shy Asian-American guy and ultra-witty Indian-American guy getting picked on by X-Game, punk-rocking A-holes: Believeable to some extent. Though in reality most X-Gamers tend to be extremely open minded. If they were football or wresting jocks it would have been totally believeable.
- Ultra-witty Indian-American guy with the surname of Patel: Believeable
- Ultra-witty Indian-American guy with the surname of Patel and studying to be a medical studen: Extremely believeable
- Shy Asian-American guy and ultra-witty Indian-American are stoners : Partially believeable for the Asian-American guy as he appeared to be 2nd or 3rd gernation American. The Indian-American guy appeared to be first generation so I think the cultural influence of his parents would be too much on his concious. Then again he is this witty cat!
- 1 White Castle Restaurant located in the Newark, New Brunswick, Norther New Jersey area: Unbelieveable as New Jersey is America.
- Racist White Cops: Believeable
- Racist White Cops with Hillbilly demeanor too much time on their hands in Northern New Jersey: Unbelieveable
- Kumar the medical student performing an operation after being mistaken for his brother (who is clearly three shades lighter then him): Unbelieveable (and not even a funny scene)
- Harold and Kumar each eating 30 White Castle Hamburgers and not having to take a poop within 10 minutes after the last bite: Unbelieveable, totally untrue, lies I tell you!! You would think these guys would have done their research. These guys would each have been laying a "upper decker" as my friend Glen would put it. They don't call them sliders for nothing!!